Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer Conference

(This week I had the wonderful opportunity to attend a conference by Eric Jensen on Teaching with the Brain in Mind.)

As I walked to the front of the ballroom, I surveyed the tables looking for a place to sit. Yes, I'm one of those people that likes to sit up front. (I get distracted if I sit in the back.) Not sure what possessed me to choose the particular table but I am overjoyed at my choice and, ultimately, at the choice of the others.

My team this week was comprised of six people with four countries being represented: Australia, England, Mexico City, and the United States. Talk about a diverse group. I love diversity. It reminds me that the world is made up of many different people and that my city/state makes up a minute portion of the world. As a child it was hard for me to fathom and still is as an adult.

All workshop attendees had the a-maz-ing experience to see some of the brain research going on at The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). We watched as a mouse tried to find his way onto a platform in a pool of water. We were introduced to SIDS research involving the brainstem of tadpoles. And, the best part of the field trip was getting to hold a human brain!
As one can imagine, I have notes upon notes in need of review. I'll be working on this and will be sure to share. 



No comments:

Post a Comment